When working at an office, you must abide by rules and regulations set forth by employers, superiors, or colleagues. However, working in a home setting presents a diversely different scenario, for you are the sole person who sets forth rules and regulations to optimize your work efficiency. You have a tremendous amount of freedom to accommodate yourself as you see fit. But without an adequate level of self-discipline, your work efficiency will nosedive and adversely affect your transcriptionist obligations.
Hence, it is necessary to set certain standards of self-discipline for yourself:
• Have a set schedule of when you will be working each day of the week. Members of the household should be aware of these hours to prevent unnecessary interruptions.
• Clear your work area of any potential distractions. This may include, but is not limited to cell phones, televisions, or any other devices that may divert your full attention from your work. Set a time every day to check emails and cell phone texts because unnecessary email/text checks will delay your work and create a distraction, potentially hurting your quality of transcription.
• Dress in office attire while working at home. This will help you feel as though you are in an office environment, rather than relaxing in the comfort of your home and consequently allow you to focus on your task.
• Prioritize your activities for each day. Your transcribing should be your number one priority, but in the case you have an appointment or phone call to take, you can schedule it accordingly to minimize interruptions.
• Keep your mind on your work. Allowing your mind to wander will only damage the accuracy of your transcriptions and increase the amount of time it takes to accurately transcribe a file.
• Schedule time for breaks. No one can continuously transcribe for hours upon hours. Give yourself reasonable breaks to clear your mind and replenish your energy. Use proper discretion.
Following these simple guidelines will help maximize your transcription accuracy and efficiency. Many home-based workers find difficulty in trying to place their attention on work and not to be distracted by the work environment. Hence, the need for self-discipline is important. The tips above on how to exercise self discipline while you work can help you to be more effective and productive in your work.
1,105 total views, 5 views today