Stuck in a rut? Looking for some fun things to do? Want to make this holiday season a unique and memorable one? Here’s a list of fun seasonal activities for the whole family.
1. BAKE BAKE BAKE!! Okay okay, I know all about those dreaded holiday lbs. (trust me… holidays for me = attack of the sweets!). But let’s face it… what’s the holidays without a cookie baking party? Invite friends and family, tell them each to bring different types of cookie dough (having an e-mail list pre-party is a good idea to organize this), and enjoy each other’s company and tasty creations. Be creative, try some new recipes, and go to town on sugar and frosting!
2. String up homemade popcorn garlands. Hang these around your house and don’t be afraid to eat them when you’re hungry. Think of it this way… you’re putting up decorations and slowly taking them down by eating them. What a way to take out some of the work of taking down decorations!
3. Cut out paper snowflakes. No matter where you are in the world, this will really fill your home with that ‘White Holiday’ cheer that we all love.
4. Draw and publish your own short tale as an eBook. You can publish your own book on the Internet for free and give it as a gift to everyone in the family.
5. Take a holiday themed family portrait. Everyone needs to put on a pair of fake reindeer antlers and pose for a photograph as least once in their life. Just don’t forget the red nose.
6. Make homemade holiday cards. Get out the markers, scissors, glue and glitter to create your own cards this year, and send them to family and friends. People appreciate things that are hand-made and don’t come from a photo store, right?
7. Put on a pair of skates and hit the ice rink. If you’re in a cold climate, head to a frozen pond or lake and glide over the frozen water. If you’re in a warm climate, go online and check out the nearest ice skating rinks (trust me, there are tons around during the holidays).
8. Board games! A great way to bring the family together is by pulling out some of those board games that never see the light of day and playing with your family and friends. They’re a great way to bond and connect with your loved ones (especially with sibling rivalries, right?). And at the end of the day, who doesn’t like good ‘ol game of Monopoly? Or Parcheesi? Or… to go with the holiday theme and #1… Candyland!!
9. Donate your time to a local charity. The holidays are all about family, but some are not so fortunate to be around theirs. Donate some time volunteering for a local community organization and really bring a smile to someone’s face. As easy as it may sound, two hours of your time can really bring joy to someone’s life.
10. We all love eggnog, but why not make your own? It’s really easy and can really impress your friends and family. Here’s my favorite recipe that is sure to knock the socks off of your company.
- 12 eggs, separated
- 6 cups milk (preferably whole)
- 2 cups heavy cream (hey, we’re not watching calories right now…)
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg (for the top)
- And, to make it ‘Funnog’…
- 2 cups bourbon
- ¾ cup brandy
The holiday season is a time to appreciate family and make memories with the most special people in your lives. These activities are only the tip of the iceberg (no pun intended), but will hopefully get your creative juices flowing for some fun holiday activities.
1,627 total views, 1 views today
Beth Worthy is the Director of Operations for GMR Transcription Services, Inc an Orange County, California based company that has been providing accurate and affordable transcription services since 2004. GMR Transcription has worked with over 8,000 clients spanning myriad industries and prides itself on its customer service and quick turnaround time. Their services include audio transcription, video transcription, and digital transcription, as well as Spanish and Mandarin translation. Google +